Electronic File Submission Guidelines
Effective October 1, 2010
The following guidelines may be helpful as you prepare electronic files to submit to Tradequip for reproduction. Download content of this page in a MS Word Doc TQ Electronic File Submission Guidelines.doc by clicking on this link
Advertising Units Tradequip display pages utilize a format that is 4 columns wide by 14.25" deep. Full-page ads do not bleed. Image area for full-page ads should be 10.167" wide by 14.25" deep.
Software PDF files are preferable in our pre-press workflow. PDF files should be in CMYK color space, contain high-resolution CMYK graphic elements (or Grayscale for Black and White graphic elements) and have all fonts embedded.
The recommended method for making a print-quality PDF is to first create a quality postscript file that can be processed by Adobe Acrobat Distiller. Please do not produce your PDF files using "Save as PDF" or "Export to PDF" options in your page layout program.
For job option settings that can be used by your copy of Adobe Acrobat Distiller, download and unzip the settings file by clicking on this link, then place it in the appropriate folder on your computer. For Macintosh OS X users: Macintosh HD/Library/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings. For Windows Users: My Computer/Local Disk (C:)/Program Files/Adobe/Acrobat 7.0/Distiller/Settings.
Postscript files can be generated in most applications by selecting the "Save as File" option available in the "Print" command.
Adobe Acrobat Distiller Job Options Settings
PDFX1a Job Options
may be used with the following modifications:
Compatibility: Acrobat 5.0 (PDF1.4)
No modification necessary
Please be sure that "Leave Color Unchanged" is selected in the Color Management Policies section.
Select "Remove" in the "When transfer functions are found:" option in the Device-Dependent Data section.
Uncheck "Allow Postscript file to override Adobe PDF Settings."
Select "No Default Profile" for the "Output Intent Profile Name:" in the "Default Values if Not Specified in the Document" section.
Page Layout Applications
Tradequip also accepts files in Quark XPress 6.5 and Adobe InDesign program formats. When sending files of this kind, please remember to include all supporting fonts and graphics.
Please do not send your ads in Microsoft Word or Excel format. Word processing and spreadsheet programs, such as these, do not work well in our pre-press environment. We cannot accept ads created in Microsoft Publisher or slide creation programs such as PowerPoint. Check with your advertising representative if you do not see your page layout program listed here.
Our pre-press department operates primarily in a Macintosh environment. We request that digital files created on a Windows platform be submitted in PDF format.
When sending program files, please provide postscript fonts. Also, remember to include fonts used in EPS files that are placed in your document. If not included, fonts will be substituted with closest match and line breaks may change. Please send only the fonts that are used in your advertisement. Windows-based fonts will be substituted with closest match using Macintosh fonts. It is preferable to provide a PDF file, with fonts embedded, in instances where Windows based fonts are used.
Images should be scanned at 300 dpi resolution and saved in CMYK TIFF format (or Grayscale for Black and White graphic elements) without embedded profiles. Graphics in EPS format are also acceptable. Digital camera photos, graphics taken from an internet web page or other JPEG graphics should be converted to adhere to these same specifications prior to placement in your document.
All Color in your ad, including graphics and photos, should be in CMYK color space.
Tradequip will reproduce "pleasing color." Printing paper characteristics are those for "Directory" papers. To achieve optimal quality, please prepare files with the following considerations.
Digital files should not include references to ICC profiles, halftone screen assignments or transfer functions. Color management is performed "globally" on all files at the point of output for our platesetters.
Documents and graphics should be in CMYK color space. Please do not rely on the appearance of colors based on how they are represented on a computer monitor.
Total Ink Coverage
Colors should not exceed a combined CMYK dot percentage of 260%.
Additional File Preparation Tips
- Please avoid submitting We can not accept complete ads that have been saved in JPEG, TIFF or other pixel-based formats.
- Avoid the application of text attributes such as "bold" or "italic" from menus in your drawing or page layout program.
- White type in a colored field reproduces best when a medium or bold 10 pt. or larger sans serif type style is used.
- Dark or colored type that overprints a colored field reproduces best when using a medium or bold 10 pt. or larger sans serif type style.
- Color rules should be 2 pts. or larger in thickness. Black rules should be at least 1 pt. thick.
- Images should not contain layers, extra channels and/or transparent objects.
- Please do not use boxes to "cover up" unwanted elements in your document. Many times, these elements will still appear on the final output.
- Images should be scaled, cropped or rotated in an image editing program prior to placement in your page layout document.
- Please remove all unnecessary elements from the document pasteboard.
- We cannot accept DCS, TIFF/IT, Scitex CT/LW, Quark "saved as EPS" or files using OPI.
- Please do not send the only copy of your file.
We strongly encourage the use of a "preflight" process on digital files prior to submission for reproduction. Although we employ a preflight process for files we receive, early detection and correction of potential problems will reduce the possibility of undesirable results.
1 Column width: 2.5"
- 1 inch
- 2 inch
- 3 inch
- 3.5 inch (1/16 page)
- 5 inch
- 6 inch
- 7 inch (1/8 page)
- 10.5 inch (3/16 page)
- 14.25 inch (1/4 page)
2 Column width: 5.083"
- 2 inch (1/16 page)
- 3 inch
- 3.5 inch (1/8 page)
- 5 inch
- 6 inch
- 7 inch (1/4 page)
- 10.5 inch (3/8 page)
- 14.25 inch (1/2 page)
3 Column width: 7.667"
- 3 inch
- 3.5 inch (3/16 page)
- 5 inch
- 6 inch
- 7 inch (3/8 page)
- 14.25 inch (3/4 page)
4 Column width: 10.167"
- 3.5 inch (1/4 page)
- 5 inch
- 6 inch
- 7 inch (1/2 page)
- 10.5 inch (3/4 page)
- 14.25 inch (Full page)
Classified Advertising Units Tradequip Classified pages utilize a format that is 5 columns wide by 14.25" deep. Ad and photo dimensions should be as follows:
- 1" Photo: 1.983" wide by 1" deep
- 2" Photo: 1.983" wide by 2" deep
- 3" Photo: 1.983" wide by 3" deep
- 1" Logo: 1.983" wide by 1.03" deep
- 2" Logo: 1.983" wide by 2.055" deep
- 3" Logo: 1.983" wide by 3.083" deep
- 1" CLS DSP: 1.983" wide by 1.057" deep
- 2" CLS DSP: 1.983" wide by 2.11" deep
- 3" CLS DSP: 1.983" wide by 3.167" deep
Note: Final printed size may vary slightly.
Sending Files to Tradequip
Tradequip accepts CD-ROM and DVD computer disk formats. Email is also an acceptable method of file transfer. Please include a laser print proof with your ad. Accurate color proofs should accompany color advertisements. If files are emailed, please fax a copy of your laser print proof.